On Feb 11, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Lewis wrote:

> The answer appears to be:  yes, you must restart web2py.
>
> That means probably the sample in my first post would also work.
>
> So, a question:
>
> Why do the dictionaries need to be nested?  In other words why is the
> key "BASE" necessary?

Because the base router is parallel to the other (optional app-specific)
routers in the routers dict.

> My rant on the manual still stands.  Sorry to be disagreeable.  Lots
> of time wasted on minor syntax discrepancies that could just be made
> clearer by ALWAYS

web2py includes two distinct URL rewrite systems: an easy-to-use
parameter-based system for most use cases, and a flexible pattern-based system
for more complex cases. To specify the URL rewrite rules, create a new file in
the "web2py" folder called routes.py (the contents of routes.py will depend on
which of the two rewrite systems you choose, as described in the next two
sections). The two systems cannot be mixed.

Notice that if you edit routes.py, you must reload it. This can be done in two
ways: by restarting the web server or by clicking on the routes reload button
in admin. If there is a bug in routes, they will not reload.