Got it working with the example from the web2py book:

routers = dict(
  BASE  = dict(default_application='formatics'),
)

Thank you web2py book :)

Maybe a nice reminder for people running with mod_wsgi: you have to
restart the webserver to activate changes in routes.py, and that's why
it didn't work the 1st time