Aside from the book, there's the Epydoc auto-generated source code
documentation: http://www.web2py.com/examples/static/epydoc/index.html. You
might also find it helpful to just explore the source code directly. You
can use any IDE, and if you want auto-completion for the web2py API, you
can add the following at the top of your model and controller files:

if 0:
    from gluon import *

The /web2py/gluon/__init__.py file exposes the entire web2py API, including
the request, response, and session global objects, so the above import
makes everything visible to the IDE. The "if 0:" ensures the import doesn't
actually happen when your code is run (you don't really need it), but the
IDE will still analyze the import and provide auto-completion. (Actually,
only trunk includes the updated code to expose request, response, and
session via the above import trick, so you'll have to use trunk or wait for
the upcoming release for that to work fully.)

There's also the rad2py IDE (http://code.google.com/p/rad2py/), which is
designed to work with web2py.

Note, aside from the list of HTML helpers and form validators, the API is
actually fairly compact (http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/4#API).

Anthony