The first important thing when you want to create a multi-app site is to
share the same session/auth and maybe share the same database, at least the
same users database.

with web2py you can easily use the same database to store users, and also
you can store sessions on that database too, it is the first pass to keep
state between applications.

Another option is using CAS to centralize the users (but I personally like
to use the "one-db-session" approach)

Having users and its state on all applications now you have to decide if
you will connect the apps using ajax, urls or API's, for the 3 cases web2py
has a solution.

{{=LOAD(URL("otherapp", "controller", "function"), null, 'target') for use
ajax coponents

URL("otherapp", "controller", "function") to simply link the apps

See RESTFUL and webservices on the book for the API's approach.

There is one more important thing you can do: Put your apps general
functions, classes and table definitions in modules, put the modules in
"web2py/site-packages" so in any application you can do "import something".

Besides the initial work on setting up the same db and sessions for the
users, I see that it is very simple to have a multi-app website.

--

Bruno Rocha
[http://rochacbruno.com.br]