Did you do the insert in the shell also? If so, when you do inserts,
updates, deletes in the shell, you have to follow with db.commit() in order
to commit the transaction. This is not necessary in application code
because the framework does that automatically at the end of a request. I
have also found that in some cases, the web-based shell in admin does not
work for database transactions, so you may need to use a regular OS shell.

Anthony