Could you provide more info on what are you trying to accomplish?
where is your data and how it is stored, etc.

The current DAL GIS implementation takes advantage of the built-in
support provided in the DB for GIS data, be it PostGIS or MSSQL
spatial support, without any additional dependencies in web2py. The
input is provided in human-readable WKT text form, the output is more
flexible.

WKT is not a technical limitation, it is just the sponsor's
preference. Other formats are equally possible with some additional
modification to the DAL's code.