As far as I understand, Web2py is developed using 2.5 features. So,
the framework itself officially supports v2.5 and this is good.

But it doesn't mean you cannot use 2.7 to develop your application
based on the framework. I, personally, always use the latest Python
stable release. There's no reason to use a past one when you develop
your apps. Unless you can't upgrade your production environment.

--
Vinicius Assef