> could you explain how this would look in detail?
> So I would have a file called settings.py in the modules folder and the
> following content:
> dbconnection = '...'
>
> in my model files I could access the variable dbconnection, right?

Yes, but of course you have to import the settings module first. Maybe at
the beginning of your first model file (they are executed alphabetically),
do:

from gluon.custom_import import track_changes; track_changes(True)
import settings

Then subsequently in any model files, controllers, or views, you can access
settings.dbconnection, etc.

> settings.py is only loaded once (I'm not that familiar with modules)?

Yes, it should be (though with track_changes(True) it will automatically be
reloaded whenever it changes).

> does this also work with compiled applications?

It should.

> and with (external) cron jobs?

I believe so, as long as the job runs the application models (where the
settings are imported). I suppose it could also import the settings
directly.

Anthony