I would like to stress once more a design issue. If two apps share the same
table/model there are two cases:

a) the apps are independent (it is possible to distribute them
independently)
b) the apps are dependent (they must be distributed together)

In case a) the model cannot be shared. Each app must have its own copy. You
cannot assume other app being present.

In case b) the two apps should be merged into one app with two controllers
and two conditionals models. They are not two distinct apps.

You can deviate from these two cases but I would not recommend. If you
deviate be careful in catching all possible exceptions.

Massimo