I recently did a few experiments with Dreamweaver and quickly decided that
it would make things more complicated rather than easier.

If you are starting to study web2py then I believe it is better to get used
to working directly with the files before trying to use productivity aids.
 A good choice of text editor with syntax highlighting is important and I
think you will find a few threads in this group regarding users' chosen
development environments.