I figured this out. The table has a self reference and web2py inserts a
zero in it instead of NULL. Works for sqlite but not MySQL.
Changing zero with NULL may be treated as a bug fix it will constitute a
minor change of backward compatibility in case you incorrectly do

db(db.table.reference_field==0).select()

while the correct thing to do would be

db(~(db.table.reference_field>0)).select()

I will try fix it and then will ask for comments.