To debug do some tests on the web2py machine using psql with -h

check for the time it takes to connect to the remote postgresql server
and the time to process a query.
If the connection takes a long time to setup, it is most likely some
dns related problem.
If the queries are slow to complete, then you should check the same
queries but from the server machine itself, if it is slow in both
cases it is a problem with that machine, else if it is slow just on
the web2py machine it is a network related problem.
If there is no speed issue using psql then try doing some dal queries
calling web2py on console with -S and -M options.  If that is fast the
problem is related to something else in the code.

mic

>>> http://www.wadecybertech.com
>>> http://www.fittraineronline.com - Fitness Personal Trainers Online