Yeah that is pretty much what I did. Their may be a better way to handle
this however this was fast and easy. I have two different frameworks that
need to access the database, this way allows for members to use both
frameworks.

in def user():
    auth.settings.login_onvalidation = [check_old_login_details]

def check_old_login_details(form):
    if form.vars.username.endswith('R'):
        form.vars.username = form.vars.username[:-1]

    user = db(db.auth_user.username == form.vars.username).select().first()
    if user:
        if user.password != form.vars.password:
            import hashlib
            hashed_password =
hashlib.sha224(request.vars.password).hexdigest()  # example of different
password
            user_old = db(db.users.username ==
form.vars.username).select().first()
            if user_old:
                if user_old.password == hashed_password:
                    user.password = form.vars.password
                    user.update_record()
    else:
        user_old = db(db.users.username ==
form.vars.username).select().first()
        if user_old:
            import hashlib
            hashed_password =
hashlib.sha224(request.vars.password).hexdigest()  # example of different
password
            if user_old.password == hashed_password:
                new_user = db[auth.settings.table_user].insert(
                    username=user_old.username,
                    account_id=user_old.account_id,
                    email=user_old.email,
                    password=form.vars.password,
                    security=form.vars.password)
                db.commit()

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, pbreit <pbreitenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be curious what you did.
>
> I've been wanting to switch my passwords to something salted or bcrypt.
> Can web2py's password handling be modified to try the new one, try the old
> one, if old one works convert to new one?

Regards,
Bruce Wade
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/brucelwade
http://www.wadecybertech.com