In one of my applications, I create users by hand as well with a custom
form.  My flow goes something like this:

1. Fill out the Create User form. There are is no password field here.
2. In the function that processes the form, I generate a random, readable
password at the beginning.
3. Before inserting into the database, I encrypt the password:
my_crypt = CRYPT(key=auth.settings.hmac_key)
crypt_pass = my_crypt(passwd)[0]

4. Once that is successful, I send the email out with the plaintext
password from the beginning.

Here's the function I use to generate a readable, random password.
https://gist.github.com/2396242

Matt Gorecki