Hi Anthony,

When I say 'sometimes Web2py fails to create Auth tables and other times it
does', I mean running a test procedure like this:

1. if 'mydb' already exists, it is dropped from PostgreSQL server using
'dropdb mydb'
2. a fresh 'mydb' is created using 'createdb mydb'
3. then run the Web2py

In other words, every time when I run the test there is a fresh database
'mydb' in place with no table. So I would expect Web2py create all the
necessary Auth tables upon the execution of 'auth.define_tables()'.

I just tried another test, I delete the whole app using Web2py appadmin,
and re-create it from scratch. And it worked for
auth.settings.create_user_groups = False
 part with all the Auth tables created for the first test, though
verification email is still not sent. However, after I drop and re-create
the database 'mydb' as above, and re-run the same Web2py app, the error
comes back and none of the Auth tables gets created.

FYI, I am running PostgreSQL 9.1 and latest stable Web2py 1.99.7 with the
following db drivers available:  SQLite3, pymysql, psycopg2, pg8000, IMAP.

The syntax error in the email message code is due to post editing, whereas
in the code I check that there is no extra space after '\'. Does it matter
where I put the chunk of email-related code inside my model file, by which
I mean:

## configure email

mail = auth.settings.mailer
mail.settings.server = 'smtp.gmail.com:587'
mail.settings.sender = 'some.em...@gmail.com'
mail.settings.login = 'some.email:123456'

 ## set the content of the verification email
auth.messages.verify_email = 'Please click on the link: http://' + \
    request.env.http_host + \
    URL(r=request,c='account',f='verify_email') + \
    '/%(key)s to verify your email address'

I put them before 'auth.define_tables()', not sure if that would affect
anything or not. Thanks a lot!