Let's clarify something....

web2py always uses the most comment models/controllers/views.
web2py (as Python does) loads modules onces and keeps them in memory, even
when modules are shipped with the app.
The fact that

    from gluon.custom_import import track_changes; track_changes(True)

overrides this behavior if a feature to be used in development, not in
production.

Reloading modules is a bad idea. It has performance penalties and can cause
undesired effects because of global objects defined in the modules.
A production application should not do this.