i use the persistent local datastore on GAE SDK as well.  i have not tried
to turn on dynamic module re-loading on GAE, but i have a shell script that
starts/stops GAE and i just restart that.  it's not as fast as
auto-reloading but it has been ok for me (though now that i'm doing more
and more in modules it does slow things down)