We're looking to use Web2py as our framework for developing a couple
applications. However we already have a massive database for our research
project, and almost all of the information is integrated into this database
(including usernames, passwords, group names etc) so it would be nice to
have web2py just access this database for username/password/group
membership authentication.

I'm hoping this can be integrated into Web2Pys already existing RBAC
management as that would be nice. I also noticed that a lot of the other
alternative login methods still require web2pys local auth_user table and
stores the remote credentials locally in this table. Is this needed by
design or can this be skipped? I'm just thinking its not needed for us to
have duplicate login information across two databases. I just need Web2py
to query our database, get the credentials authenticated and what group
they are in (so i can control access to functions on web2py based on their
group).

Thanks for any heads up on the matter.