>From the book:

If we just need access to the data but not to the web2py table attributes,
we get away without re-defining the tables but simply asking web2py to read
the necessary info from the metadata in the .table files:

1.
2.
3.

from gluon import DAL, Field
db = DAL('sqlite://storage.sqlite',folder='path/to/app/databases',
         auto_import=True))

This allows us to access any db.table without need to re-define it.