Sorry if I wasn't clear, I actually meant URLs of the following form,
myapp/controller/args to be mapped to myapp/controller/index/args. The
second point of confusion takes a different tack on web2py routing than the
first point.

I'll try to experiment with your solution though.

For future notes, I actually got the pattern-matching solution working, I
realized that what I was missing was that I had to include my application's
name in the routes_app for the custom routes to be enabled.

In any event, my solution is