> LOAD('default','post.load',ajax=True,target='patient',vars={'scanId':(
>   request.args[2] or 1)})

LOAD is an HTML helper that generates a div and a script element, so it
should be inserted in a view, not simply called in the controller.

>   #response.ajax = \
>     'web2py_component("%s","patient",ajax=True,vars=vars1)' % URL
> ('patient')

I think this should be response.js rather than response.ajax. Also,
response.js is only used if the action that sets it is being called as a
web2py component -- is that the case here? Finally, web2py_component() does
not take an ajax or vars argument. If you want vars included in the URL,
then pass it to the URL function.

Anthony