Here's my crack at the question:

how can I have an HTML file in web2py/applications/init rather than in
Web2py's "special" static directory?

Here's why I'm asking this question. if anyone thinks I should be asking a
different question, constructive questions welcomed.
I'm using GWT which has GWT.getModuleBaseURL() to return the path to its
"root" directory. I need this path to create an URL to call my Web2py
Server function (in web2py/applications/init/controllers/default).

If I place my GWT static files in web2py/applications/init/static then GWT.
getModuleBaseURL() returns domain.com/init/static. I want it to return
domain.com instead.