> I'm looking for The Book to tell me what to expect.
> If it doesn't tell me, then I don't know if the current behaviour
> (once I discover it) will be carried forward to future versions of
> Web2py as part of the backwards compatibility promise, or, if the
> current behaviour is just a quirk of the current implementation that
> might change and which could bite me if I  rely on it.
>

> Can I count on the DAL setting or not setting autocommit mode? How do
> I have any way of knowing if changing that "behind the DAL's back"
> would break anything or not. Does the DAL even care?
>
> Since the DAL is trying to abstract away details about particular DB
> engines so that Web2py users can write code that "doesn't care", it
> also needs to say (for each DB Engine) what assumptions it is
> making... that is, what matters to it and what doesn't. It's perfectly
> fine to say, for each DB Engine, what configurations/settings/etc.
> that Web2py 'cares about' and which it doesn't.

Can you explain how whether SQLite autocommits or not matters in this case?
The DAL documentation recommends doing a db.commit() in scripts and
background tasks like this precisely because it doesn't want to assume any
autocommitting is happening. Within the context of HTTP requests, web2py
automatically does a commit at the end of the request. It's not clear the
documentation needs to say anything else here -- if you follow what the
documentation currently says, you should be fine.

Anthony