Hello Anthony,

What i can tell you is :
1) Even on a standalone test ... with no previous field define in a table
... the widget as shown in the web2py dev cookbook does not work the way
they have said that it would work ... they might want to update it or to
revise it  ... ! .. well .. more precisely ... it does not show up as
stipulated in the corresponding view file ! .. we get as a result 3 input
fields that takes the default width plus an additional input field where
the final chosen date  is shown ! ( so we get 4 rows in total  stacked on
top of the other ) .. ( I do understand there might be conflicts with the
various uploaded css / js files )

2) Please help me with this : - If I know how I can specify or isolate the
different portion of the date in the corresponding table field of the db
... ( mainly in the view for serialisation  ) without modifying the
original table in models .. i should be able to make it work for me ?
    example : db.table.datefield->day  ( for the day )  and
db.table.datefield->month  ( for the month ) and db.table.datefield->year
( for the year )

something similar like in a custom form recipe, we can isolate the label
fieldname the following way :

{{=form.custom.label.fieldname}}

what about the 3 portions of the date ( day, month, year )

can it be done ? ... is this possible in python/web2py without to many
coding !! ???

your input will be greatly appreciated  ...
 ( PS. the datefield is consumming a lot of my time lately ... I tried so
many different things to manipulate them in the view within a form  with
very small success rate  !! )

thx

Don