Hey fellow web-2-pirates / web2py-rats. Just thought I'd share with you the
fact that I've hijacked the template engine from web2py and made a command
line utility similar to Ruby's ERB. I've also stripped down the library a
removed gluon integration wrappers and HTML escaping to make it a generally
useful library outside of web2py.

This is a separate project and not a part of web2py. I'm not trying to
replace the template engineā€¦.just make use of it from the command line and
make it easier to use in other projects.

currently on the list of todos for the wempy shell utility:

   - add a switch for passing environment variables from the shell to the
   execution context for templates
   - add recursive processing of a directory
   - add an output extension to batch process files

Todo's for the wemplate library:

   - Try to improve speed (Thadeus already had a very lean approach so
   there may not be much I can do here)
   - extend to facilitate batch processing with multiple contexts

Any feed back you have would be greatly appreciated.

packages.python.org: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/wempy
home page: http://www.wempy.org