Thanks for that. I didn't realize field-level migrations don't work with
MySQL. I'm no expert on web2py migrations (or even web2py!); is it just
with MySQL that it has these problems?

I suppose I could do this as an alternative to what you suggested: In
web2py add a new field with unique, then in MySQL UPDATE all records,
setting newField = oldField. I'd have to handle duplicates here, but at
least I wouldn't lost all my data. Then, when satisfied, delete oldField
and maybe rename newField to oldField.