Maybe I can answer your question by describing how I use Web2py.

I begin with models.  The DAL has so far provided all the functionality I
need.  That said, I also will need to implement a union query in the future
and I don't think the DAL supports it.  However, on this forum there was
recently a thread about how to process the rows that came back from
processing a raw SQL query, so no problems there.

As far as controllers go, I begin by using crud, SQLFORM.grid and
SQLFORM.smartgrid.  Sometimes these are all I need, especially if the
controllers address a single table only or just have one-to-may
relationships.

If I need more flexibility, such as processing on validation or after and
insert or update.  In that case I use SQLFORM or SQLFORM.factory.

You can even hand build your pages using the view helpers.

Web2py generates css-friendly pages, so you can style as much as you like.

On Monday, July 9, 2012 4:46:24 AM UTC-4, murtaza52 wrote:

> Massimo,
>
> Appreciate your comments.
>
> As mentioned by you, web2py has packaged all the functionality needed  by
> a web app in a single api, and I am finding this very interesting. This
> certainly allows one to create a web app pretty fast.
>
> The only remaining question is that how easy is it to pull apart things
> and modify them as needed. As I understand web2py will certainly speed up
> my development. However when I need flexibility will I still be easily able
> to change defaults and tweak things ? ( something that loosely couple
> frameworks provide over full stack frameworks)
>
> Thanks,
> Murtaza
>
> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:26:34 AM UTC+5:30, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
>>
>> As pointed out what I said is that I would pick ROR of "most" python
>> frameworks.
>>
>> In general I prefer to program in Python rather then  Ruby. Indentation
>> makes the code more readable and there are more libraries. Ruby is used in
>> Rails but not much else. Python is used for all kind of things (think about
>> numpy, blender, pyglet, etc.).
>>
>> Yet Ruby is better designed than most Python framework because if favors
>> convention over configuration. Most Python frameworks instead follow the
>> Python motto "explicit is better the implicit" and the authors despise the
>> concept of "default behaviour" which they refer to as "magic". This means
>> that even very simple simple such as serving a static file require a fair
>> amount of programing. Moreover, as a corollary, most frameworks come in
>> pieces. Ever piece has a name and its own marketing people. This exposes
>> the visibility of the component but it means you have to separately find
>> and install the components you need, learn their api and make sure they are
>> compatible with your own version of the code.
>>
>> In web2py we tried to copied the RoR approach (everything has a
>> configuration) and we try to package and maintain as many components as
>> possible into the same code base (API for authentication, scheduler, cron,
>> PDF printing, SOAP services, WIKI markup, syntax highlighting, etc.).
>> Moreover we do not rely on third party modules (only on Python standard
>> libraries). 99% of what you may want to can be done with basic web2py
>> without needing external packages. This means the apps are very portable
>> between one installation and another.
>>
>> The main difference between web2py and other frameworks in practice is
>> not soo much in the its API (which more or less are the same for all
>> frameworks) but for what web2py does for you on the management site: no
>> packages to install, manage through the web interface, no shell programming
>> unless you want to, automatic migrations.
>>
>> Massimo
>>

>> On Friday, 6 July 2012 00:58:36 UTC-5, murtaza52 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am considering three frameworks for developing our commercial
> [...]
>>> 2) ROR