Going back to your first example code you gave above,

Javascript in the view nothing really changed I just don't have the
indicator gif
<script>
  jQuery(document).ready(function(){

       jQuery('.EDit').editable("{{=URL('update')}}",{
          style: 'display:inline',
          indicator: "Saving...",
          tooltip : "Click to edit...",
          style : "inherit"
      });
  });

 </script>

the update() function in the controller:

def update():
      if request.post_vars:
          idloc = request.post_vars.id
          id,column = idloc.split('.')
          value = request.post_vars.value
          db(db.WSProb.id == id).update(**{column:value})
          return value

It seems jeditable submits its values through request.post_vars instead of
using request.args
I also modified the update clause so it would work with passing a column
name in as text.
I am using the source 1.7.1 version of jeditable from the
site<http://www.appelsiini.net/projects/jeditable>.

With minimal testing this seemed to allow you to update the numbers and
display the updated value.

HTH,
Brent