I'm trying to understand...

Do you mean that if I leave out the validator, i.e. make it

requires=IS_IN_DB(db,'sometable.id')

or do you mean to remove the whole "requires" attribute?

Yes, they are exactly the same (the format attributes in table and in the
reference), and I don't wish to repeat them either, but how do I get the
drop down menus with the correct formatting?

I have tried different combinations but the correct referencing with drop
down menus still doesn't work. These are my tables, please kindly help.

db.define_table('health',
    Field('type_id','reference types',requires=IS_IN_DB(db,'types.id',
'%(name)s (%(description)s)
') ),
    Field('time_min','string',length=255,requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    Field('time_max', 'string',length=255),
    Field('tab_id','reference tabs',requires=IS_IN_DB(db,'tabs.id',
'%(name)s') ),
)

db.define_table('types',
    Field('name','string',length=255,requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    Field('description','text',requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    format='%(name)s (%(description)s)'
)

db.define_table('tabs',
    Field('name','string',length=255,requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    Field('description','text',requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    format='%(name)s'
)

I would like to have the drop down menu available for choosing AND for the
correct format for referencing when listing the items. Am I writing the
wrong code?

I have tried:

   - removing the "format" attribute in the "requires=" attribute
      - drop down menus available but the format is the ID

   - removing the entire "requires" attribute
      - no drop down menus

The "represent" solution works, but I was wondering if there was a way
about it, since the web2py manual says so and if I understand your reply
correctly, I'm probably doing it wrong somewhere.

I have many references, so there will be lambdas all over the place. Not
very DRY... Can I learn the correct method to achieve this please?

Thank you!