Hi all,

I'm fairly new to web2py and python, but I'm trying to build a 'proof of
concept' system to demonstrate how one of our products might work.

The system consists of an embedded Linux board and an RS232 serial digital
compass. The system will read the orientation from the compass and light a
few LEDs as well as an audible tone to point a user in the right direction.
The device will also host a small web server running web2py so that people
can log on and view the real compass outputs - possibly an animated
graphical display if i get that far...

So really i just need some advice about the best architecture to get me
started.

Should I build everything into web2py - will it handle worker threads for
reading serial port etc, will it handle the LEDs/tone if no http users are
connected?
Should I build a stand-alone python 'service' that handles the hardware
interface - web2py can then read the results for the web elements? Would
this use JSON, SOAP etc?

Sam