web2py.css includes styling for common html tags in addition to specific
web2py stuff.

The loading order in current layout.html is below.

{{
  response.files.append(URL('static','css/bootstrap.min.css'))
  response.files.append(URL('static','css/bootstrap-responsive.min.css'))
  response.files.append(URL('static','css/web2py.css'))
  response.files.append(URL('static','css/bootswatch.css'))
  }}

Perhaps we should be loading web2py.css first?  Did you try that?