I suppose you could set up some Ajax polling on each client for each logged
in user. Each poll could (a) add that user to a list of current users
stored in the cache, (b) retrieve the list of current users from the cache
(i.e., all users whose status has been refreshed within the last x
minutes), and (c) check for messages sent to the user (or the user's group).

Anthony