The problem is, you're changing the name of the field in the HTML, but the
server-side data model is still expecting a variable named "username"
(which is the name of the field in the database table). I suppose a
workaround might be something like this in the controller (before:

    if request.post_vars.regForm_username:
        request.post_vars.username = request.post_vars.regForm_username
    registrationForm = auth.register()

That way, the expected "username" variable will be included in
request.post_vars.

Can you show an example of a jQuery/Ajax problem with fields in different
forms having the same name? Can't you just put each form inside a div with
a unique id and include the id in the jQuery selectors?

Anthony