Thanks guys but don't understand how conditional models could be applied
here. I thought conditional models were models specific to a single
controller/function? My app has many controllers that use the models, and
only a few basic pages where I don't want models to load- how would
conditional models solve that?

Don't really feel like wrapping all my model code in IFs either.

Probably go with the separate app for now, and check out lazy tables when
they come out..