I am not sure what docs you are referring to Jonathan. The book gives an
example:

"The general syntax for routes is more complex than the simple examples we
have seen so far. Here is a more general and representative example:

1.
2.
3.
4.

routes_in = (
 ('140\.191\.\d+\.\d+:https://www.web2py.com:POST /(?P<any>.*)\.php',
  '/test/default/index?vars=\g<any>'),
)

"
that seems to imply the URL is a string. It would be useful if one could
see the URL presented to routes_in.

Let me ask the second part of my initial post slightly revised.

I would like, within routes_In to be able to route according to domain name.

So what would routes_in look like to route

 127.0.0.1:8002 to welcome, and

 localhost:8002 to admin
Thanks
Peter