I swear both the URL(..., vars=) and the non-serialized URLs both aren't
working- I'm on 1.99.7, with the code in the right place in front
of include web2py_ajax.html, together with all my other working scripts and
styles. optimize_css is not enabled, and doesn't appear to be any sort of
caching problem. Tested on chrome and safari. No clue..

I'll have to test further on a new project and try to drill down into
what's going on- will report back.

@Rochacbruno, you said you ran into the same thing. Can you verify?