the pypi package is 'gitpython' --  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/GitPython

"sudo pip install gitpython" worked for me

note: there is a 'gitpython' on github but that is different and useless in
this case

I originally tried "sudo  apt-get install python-git" and this did not work
for my Ubuntu 12.04 machine; despite the debian package name, it is
'gitpython' -- unfortunately it's not the current version and so fails
because it doesn't have 'clone_from' attribute