Phil,

I don't maintain the plugin, but here's what I did to test to see if it
would still work. I made copies of all my files (backup). I read the Google
developer page that says that now only businesses have to pay for a key.
 So if you are learning how to use the api you don't have to pay anything
now, it is free.

I removed the instances or mentions of GOOGLE_KEY  in the model file that
came with the web2py plugin, and also in the plugin's index file.

In my view I added the reference to google's path for the v3 api like this:

{{response.files.append(URL('https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false'))}}

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

{{=LOAD('plugin_gmap')}}

then I saved the file.  It loaded with no problems.
Also, I think the newest version of web2py has more GIS type features built
in with examples, but I haven't got the chance
yet to try them out.  There might be more discussion about this on the list.
Good luck!

Margaret