let me explain better. You could write all the logic to store filenames on
your custom folders and all the logic to retrieve (given a certan value)
the file itself.
But, you can skip most of the hassle while retaining some useful chunks of
web2py code.
1) let web2py store the file "the way it does" so you don't have to come up
with some weirdo code to avoid collision between similar names
2) store in the same table (another field) store the original filename/seo
friendly filename
3) code a function that searches your table using the original/seo friendly
filename. you get a row where with retrieve() you can return the file
(contents). The name of the file is up to you, as is the "format" of the
url you want to use for your "seo friendly" purposes.