Hello web2py users :

Validating if numbers or decimals are entered on a form seem to be very
straight forward and easy enough ! whether it is a phone number or a US
postal code :
Like for example a US postal code would go like this :

requires = IS_MATCH('^\d{5}(-\d{4})?$',error_message='not a zip code')

however, a Canadian postal code on the other hand is another story :

a Canadian postal code is configured like this : Letter#Letter #Letter#
an example would be : A1B 2C3, or A1B-2C3, or again A1B2C3  :  All these 3
postal codes are the same and equivalent in the Canadian postal code scheme
!

How would I go about validating such input into a field on a form in python
/ web2py ???

it seems that there is no easy simple way to do this ! ... is there a set
of alphabetic characters only .... without numbers in python / web2py ?  I
only found alpha numeric characters that take numbers as characters !! and
it is not what I want !! ..

Please help !

thank you

Don