Hi Lars,

On Jul 25, 2007, at 3:47 AM, Lars Knoll wrot
As a sidenote, since we're already talking about licensing: I don't quite see
the benefits of having a mix of BSD and LGPL licenses. LGPL is more
restrictive, so that one applies to the project as a whole anyways. Wouldn't it be easier to just have one license (LGPL 2.1 or later) for the complete
code base?

We mostly put the BSD license on files that were originally developed primarily by Apple for two reasons:

1) To still potentially allow reuse of that code in other internal Apple projects, even if a non-Apple employee makes a small change to that particular file. As code gets mixed between files, there might be less and less of such code over time, though.

2) For the WebKit ObjC API code specifically, to avoid subjecting apps that link to WebKit only, but not to WebCore or JavaScriptCore directly, to the LGPL reverse engineering clause.

As you say, it does not make a huge difference for the project overall, so I think we should continue to allow contributors to contribute new code under the BSD license.

Regards,
Maciej