Hi all,

Right now webkit will automatically convert some well known ActiveX objects (flash, wmp, realplayer etc) to corresponding plugins. (see code in RenderPartObject.cpp, mapClassIdToServiceType etc). However, this may not be always favorable. I've seen webpages just want the browser bail out if it can not support the ActiveX object, and display alternative instructions on how to view the page.

Does it make sense to refactor the code, so that with some customization we can decide whether to support conversion or not?

Another problem I've seen with the conversion is, if there is an embed tag inside an object, converted object type will override the type of the embed object. e.g.:

<OBJECT id="MediaPlayer" codeBase="..."  height="250" width="350"
  classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">
 <PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="bt9.wma">
 <embed height=250 width=350 src="midflash.swf"/>
</OBJECT>

The outer object specifies a windows media player. WebKit uses converted type "application/x-mplayer2" to create the plugin. However, it uses the internal embed tag's src etc to init the plugin, which fails to render correctly.

To fix this, I think we should either use everything of the embed tag (if it exists) or everything of the object tag (params) etc to do conversion. Does that sound a good approach?

Thanks,
Rui