Do you have ActiveState Perl installed?  If so, the "perl" command in Cygwin
may be picking up ActiveState Perl instead of /usr/bin/perl.  You either need
to uninstall ActiveState Perl or change your PATH environment variable so that
/usr/bin/perl is first.

Running "which perl" or "perl --version" from Cygwin may give you more
information as well.

Dave