gperf (http://www.gnu.org/software/gperf/) is a utility app that generates perfect hash functions. By perfect we mean that there are no hash collisions in the lookup and thus some runtime performance improvements can be had. Your cygwin/bin directory is supposed to have a gperf.exe app in it. If not then you can run the cygwin install again and add that package. It should be under the dev tools section of the installer.

I wonder if it would be better if code-generating utilities like gperf were run by code submitters once instead of being run by every WebKit user on every build. I think this results in WebKit builds being a bit slower than necessary. A no-change WebKit build takes a couple minutes for me, whereas other projects of comparable size take maybe 5 seconds to complete (though granted there are other things involved beyond auto-generated source files). I assume the WebKit tests make sure mistakes and omissions in code affected by this don't happen (or am I wrong about this?). Another benefit of this would be reduced build failures like that reported below. Please feel free to correct me if I am in error.

Paul

Hi all,
Thank you very much for your suggestions yesterday.
I install Fedora 9 OS to run next to the Cygwin on Windows OS. I typed some commands as following:

./build-webkit
./autogen.sh
./configure

for each command above, after machine run some tasks, it announced the same error as follow:

checking for gperf... no
configure: error: You need the 'gperf' hash function generator to compile WebKit

Can you help me to solve this error?
Thank you in advance!
Hai