Hi all,

I've been haunting #webkit and #qtwebkit for a while with this problem, but it seems to be some kind of tricky configuration issue, so I thought I might have more luck asking here.

I'm trying to build QtWebKit on a Mac (running 10.5.6) from an unmodified WebKit trunk working copy. I have Qt 4.5 installed in the usual location ('which qmake' returns '/usr/bin/qmake'), and obviously I have Xcode and friends installed in /Developer as well.

When I run the following command from the root of the WebKit directory:

/WebKitTools/Scripts/build-webkit --qt --release

I get the following output:

Use of chdir('') or chdir(undef) as chdir() is deprecated at /Users/ phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/ webkitdirs.pm line 1025, <SPEC> line 45. Calling 'qmake -r CONFIG+=qt-port OUTPUT_DIR=/Users/phoenix/Source/ experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release /Users/phoenix/ Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit.pro CONFIG+=release CONFIG-=debug' in /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/ WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release

Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebCore/ WebCore.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/ WebKitBuild/Release//WebCore] Project MESSAGE: Building QtWebKit as a framework, as that's how Qt was built. You can Project MESSAGE: override this by passing CONFIG +=webkit_no_framework to build-webkit. Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/ JavaScriptCore/jsc.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release//JavaScriptCore] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/QtLauncher/QtLauncher.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release//WebKit/qt/QtLauncher] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/tests/tests.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/ WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release//WebKit/qt/tests] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/tests/qwebframe/qwebframe.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests//qwebframe] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/tests/qwebpage/qwebpage.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests//qwebpage] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/tests/qwebelement/qwebelement.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/ experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests// qwebelement] Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/ qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/qwebhistoryinterface.pro [/Users/ phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/ WebKit/qt/tests//qwebhistoryinterface] WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebframe/tst_qwebframe.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebpage/tst_qwebpage.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebelement/ tst_qwebelement.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/ tst_qwebhistoryinterface.xcodeproj' Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/ WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt/DumpRenderTree.pro [/Users/phoenix/ Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release// WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt] Project MESSAGE: Building QtWebKit as a framework, as that's how Qt was built. You can Project MESSAGE: override this by passing CONFIG +=webkit_no_framework to build-webkit. WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebCore/QtWebKit.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/JavaScriptCore/jsc.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/QtLauncher/QtLauncher.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt/ DumpRenderTree.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebframe/tst_qwebframe.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebpage/tst_qwebpage.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebelement/ tst_qwebelement.xcodeproj' WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/ thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/ tst_qwebhistoryinterface.xcodeproj'
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Now, it looks to me like there's some kind of misconfiguration somewhere in the environment, because that first message it prints implies that we're passing an unexpectedly empty string to chdir(), which might be the case if (for example) an environment variable that was supposed to be set was unset... and the rest of the output looks like qmake is generating the wrong kind of makefiles.

Here's all the environment variables that are currently set on my machine (minus a few irrelevant ones like PATH and PS1):

MANPATH=/sw/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11/ man:/sw/lib/perl5/5.8.8/man:/usr/X11R6/man
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
CLICOLOR=yes
TMPDIR=/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee++20Hk+-+Yw/-Tmp-/
PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-yX6MS1/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=240
OLDPWD=/Users/phoenix
USER=phoenix
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-wDET7O/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1024F:0:0
LSCOLORS=Gxfxcxdxdxegedabagacad
PWD=/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
MAGICK_HOME=/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.3.9
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/phoenix
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/qt/lib:/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.3.9/lib:
LOGNAME=phoenix
INFOPATH=/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/share/info
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-m7XEVQ/:0
_=/usr/bin/env

I'm hoping that someone reading this will have some idea what might be going wrong. I'm told a couple of you build QtWebKit on Mac from time to time, so it would be very helpful to know what your configurations look like. I should also mention that I've been having this problem for over a month now, so it's definitely not related to any changes that went in in the past few weeks.

Thanks!

Brian Ellis
Software Engineer
Google