The problem I have with defining permissions on top of anything other than
origin, is that every other aspect of HTML security seems to hang on the
venerable same-origin policy.
Allowing an "application" under "foobar.com/trusted" to have different
permissions from an application under "foobar.com/untrusted" seems
dangerous, given that pages under foobar.com/untrusted can:

1) Share storage, cookies, and workers with foobar.com/trusted
2) Load foobar.com/trusted in an iframe and call into its javascript, inject
its own script, etc.

I agree that it has implications for things like geocities where pages from
different authors share the same domain, but that seems inherent to the
general model of the web - you can't, in general, do anything interesting on
the client if you don't trust all of the content served from your origin.

-atw