On Jun 23, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Ojan Vafai <o...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM, David Hyatt <hy...@apple.com> wrote:
On Jun 22, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
Mozilla restricts downloaded fonts to same-origin by default, with the ability for the hosting site to open up access via Access- Control (aka CORS). Apparently this step has the potential to make font foundries more comfortable about using straight up OpenType fonts on the Web, without introducing DRM. Should we follow Mozilla's lead on this?

I see no reason to do this.

I also see harm from doing this. There are many sites (e.g. Google Docs) that serve static content of a different, cookie-less domain for performance reasons. They would be unable to do this for Web Fonts with this restriction.

This is an increasingly common practice as tools like http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/ become more ubiquitous.

Ojan

Wouldn't Access-Control still support serving the Web Fonts off of a secondary domain?

The main effect would be to change the default behavior. Hotlinking would be disabled unless the server opts in via Access-Control. The Mozilla folks haven't made a hugely compelling case for this restriction though.

 - Maciej