On 4-Jul-09, at 2:47 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:

#2: Use of summing as a scoring mechanism is problematic
Unfortunately, the sum-based scoring techniques do not withstand the test of time as browsers improve. When the benchmark was first introduced, each test was equally weighted and reasonably large. Over time, however, the test becomes dominated by the slowest tests - basically the weighting of the individual tests is variable based on the performance of the JS engine under test. Today's engines spend ~50% of their time on just string and date tests. The other tests are largely irrelevant at this point, and becoming less relevant every day. Eventually many of the tests will take near- zero time, and the benchmark will have to be scrapped unless we figure out a better way to score it. Benchmarking research which long pre-dates SunSpider confirms that geometric means provide a better basis for comparison: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm? id=5673 Can future versions of the SunSpider driver be made so that they won't become irrelevant over time?

Actually this doesn't happen on all CPUs. For example CPUs without FPU have very different results. memory performance is also a big factor.

#3: The SunSpider harness has a variance problem due to CPU power savings modes. Because the test runs a tiny amount of Javascript (often under 10ms) followed by a 500ms sleep, CPUs will go into power savings modes between test runs. This radically changes the performance measurements and makes it so that comparison between two runs is dependent on the user's power savings mode. To demonstrate this, run SunSpider on two machines- one with the Windows "balanced" (default) setting for power, and then again with "high performance". It's easy to see skews of 30% between these two modes. I think we should change the test harness to avoid such accidental effects.

   I've noticed this issue too.

--
George Staikos
Torch Mobile Inc.