On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Evan Martin wrote:

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:22 PM, David Hyatt <hy...@apple.com> wrote:
I've actually been super frustrated with WebKit's selection behavior for a long time, precisely because it tries to let you select everything. In

Concrete examples of where something weird happens would be helpful. The
gap code is obviously not perfect and so there's plenty of room for
improving it, which will help out Chrome on Mac users even if Chrome on
Windows goes to a different style of behavior.

This likely isn't what PK was talking about, but it's a good example
in its irony.  Try selecting a paragraph on the front page of
webkit.org; you'll see weird gap painting over the navbar on the left.

http://imgur.com/fd1Ck  (happens on Safari too, just was easier to
screenshot locally)

Seems like a bug to me. Selection draws over content that won't get copied. You also get some double-drawn selection if you Select All on the webkit.org front page. Please file. http://daringfireball.net/ is another site that has the same problem, likely for the very same reason. I expect this will happen on any site uses a large left margin on the main content to lay out around an absolute-positioned sidebar. Some sites use floats for this kind of thing and are not affected. I'm not sure what the best fix is. Maybe we should be stopping selection painting at the border box and not draw into margins. I'm not sure if this would have negative consequences on other sites.

Regards,
Maciej