There’s no simple recipe to tell us what to build into WebKit and what goes
into client applications. Explicit support for search fields and API directly
related to the configuration of browser search has been left out of WebKit up
until this point.

Reasons for putting things into WebKit include things that have complicated
interactions with other aspects of web technology, or are difficult to
implement correctly and thus it’s good to share them among multiple WebKit
clients.

There’s no principle that would forbid starting to put technologies in WebKit
to help implement features like APIs to control the search field or even other
search field related features such as Safari’s search field snap back feature.
On the other hand, just because API is exposed to websites does not on its own
justify putting the API into the engine.

I still stand my my original objection—this API should not go in WebKit at this
time—but it’s not a simple black and white case of what can and can’t be in
WebKit.

    -- Darin